Although it undoubtedly rains a lot here (although our average yearly rainfall is NOT at the top of the nation’s list), there are tons of things to love about our Emerald City. As the days get shorter, you might need a few reminders about why Seattle is so great. Why do you love Seattle?
1. We’ll Always Have Pike Place. This insanely popular (with natives and tourists alike) market is not just a mainstay of the city; it’s also the longest continuously running farmer’s market in the United States. Get yourself down there and catch a fish for us!
2. Seattleites love their books (and newspapers, and e-readers). It’s true; Seattle has been ranked as one of the most literate cities in the country. Although some cynically cite the gloomy weather as the culprit, others point to the fact that Seattle is also one of the most highly educated cities in the nation. Who knows? I’m just glad there are still so many cool independent bookstores to patronize.
3. We’re All About the Music. When people think Seattle music, they typically think grunge. And we were the seedling city that sprouted acts like Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and of course, Nirvana. But our musical awesomeness isn’t just in our past; Seattle continues to earn recognition with independent radio stations like KEXP and great venues like the Vera Project and the Crocodile Café.
4. We’re Total Techies. Although some might argue that being a tech worker is the opposite of cool, I beg to differ. Love ‘em or hate ‘em, Microsoft and Amazon have been game-changers, and because of that Seattle has the highest per-capita share of technology-dependent jobs in the country.
5. Seattle is just, well, cool. At least according to this article in Forbes. Arts and culture, recreation, diversity and “local eats” were all factored into the equation, and Seattle came out with the silver medal (second only to Washington, DC). Not to toot our own horn, but we are pretty awesome, right?
TWIF Blogger Maggie Tarnawa is (almost) a native Seattleite and does indeed “heart” the Emerald City.