OK, I admit it, I am in no way, shape or form a sports fan. I loathe the televised fan screaming and I’ve never bothered to learn the sports ball rules so the entire sports world is the great unknown to me. That said, I LOVE THE SEAHAWKS.
Why you ask? Well, I am definitely not a fair weather fan and I don’t particularly fancy all things blue and green but I am absolutely in love with what Seahawks fandom and the 12th Man has done to unite the Seattle community. Look around you Seattle, you are now celebrating your beloved team by high fiving strangers, talking to elevator co-habitants about the game and celebrating with your fellow bus riders. I wish the Seahawks were headed to the Super Bowl every day of the year - it makes Seattle so much kinder, gentler, awesome, and more.
That said, here are 12 reasons a Seattle loving, sports hating, Seahawks fan believes the 12th man is awesome.
1. In 2013, Russell Wilson challenged his teammates to believe one simple question: “Why not us?” proving that we can change outcomes by questioning things.
2. Thanks to delicious Cupcake Royale, we can prove our team loyalty by having cupcakes delivered to our sofas.
4. Obama is one of us.
5. The 'We Are 12' Exhibit at the EMP is so good.
6. We have learned that we can have fun and seriously obey the rules.
7. And then we can get crazy and let our kids explain it for the rest of their lives.
8. Blue and Green s a great color for Seattle complexions.
9. Without the 12th Man our city’s cranes might not be decorative.
10. How would we light the Great Wheel without the Seahawks?
11. We found a suitable use for white picket fences.
12. The 12th Man has united all of us as one - and united we can do amazing things in our great city.
Let's do this Sunday.
-Amy Faulkner, TWIF Executive Director