Event Type = Volunteer: You will be volunteering at this event
Help feed your hungry neighbors! Last year, Food Lifeline rescued more than 40 million pounds of healthy nutritious food from farmers, manufacturers, grocery stores, and restaurants. This food often arrives in large quantities that can't be directed immediately to the more than 275 food banks, shelters and meal programs that we serve.
We will be making an impact by sorting and repacking the rescued food so it can go out to these food banks, shelters and meal programs!
The Nonprofit Partner that this event supports: Food Lifeline
Why you are needed: One in 6, or 14.6%, of Washington households were food insecure at some point during 2013, the latest year for which data is available. This means that these households were uncertain of having or were unable to acquire enough food to consistently meet the daily needs of all members of their households.
Food Lifeline rescues millions of pounds of this surplus food from farmers, manufacturers, grocery stores, and restaurants. They then deliver this healthy and nutritious food to 275 food banks, shelters and meal programs across Western Washington.
They provide 90,000 meals to our hungry neighbors every day. This, combined with their policy and advocacy work creates a sustainable solution for ending hunger.
That’s why they say “Hunger Doesn’t Have to Happen.”
Age Requirement: 18+
TWIF Lead: TBD
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Who can sign up for this event? Anyone is welcome to volunteer for our events. There’s no long term commitment and you’re welcome to sign up for just one event, or multiple events that fit your style. Once signed up, you’ll be kept in the loop on all event details and what to expect via email and text communication from our team.
- Can I sign up my group? If you are interested in signing up 4 or more people for a volunteer event, we ask that you contact us instead of registering here.
- Can I bring a friend? Of course, the more, the merrier…. but we do ask that your friend register for the event. Those not registered for the event will be turned away.
- How do I find the group? Upon entering Food Lifeline's Hunger Solutions Center you will be greeted and directed to the volunteer check-in area.
- What is a TWIF Lead? At every TWIF Volunteer event, you will find someone, called a TWIF Lead, that is trained to facilitate the group. They are your event host, if you will, and are there to help make sure you have a great experience.
- What should I bring? A water bottle and a snack are always a good idea.
- What should I wear? Wear comfortable shoes and clothes that you don't mind getting a little dirty.
- Will we be inside or outside? inside - but this is a warehouse so layers are good!
- Is there parking? yes
- What is the cancellation policy? Space for our events is limited and we often have a waiting list of people that would like to attend. Once you register for the event we will hold a space just for you so we ask that if, for any reason, you cannot attend your scheduled shift, please make sure to cancel your registration so someone else can take your spot! You can cancel online or by reaching out to our volunteer coordination team.
- Do you offer documentation? Upon request, we will gladly supply you with documentation for your volunteer hours for work or school purposes. We do NOT, however, provide court documentation. We do not believe that volunteering is a punishment and under no circumstances will we provide documentation for court-ordered community service.
If this event is full, JOIN THE WAITING LIST.