Sorry, this event and the waitlist is full.
Event Type = Volunteer: You will be volunteering at this event
Join us in the FareStart Contract Kitchen! We will be preparing food alongside FareStart's chefs and students preparing food for shelters.
This is a hands-on kitchen opportunity. Come prepared to chop, stir, and get a little messy. The group will be guided by FareStart's trained chef so cooking skills are not required but participants should be comfortable using knives and other kitchen equipment as instructed.
Our Nonprofit Partner that this event supports: FareStart
Why you are needed: FareStart is a culinary job training and placement program for homeless and disadvantaged individuals. Since 1992, FareStart has provided opportunities for nearly 7,000 people to transform their lives, while also serving over 6 million meals to disadvantaged men, women, and children.
Age Requirement: 18+
TWIF Lead: Alex
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Who can sign up for this event? Anyone is welcome to volunteer for our events. There’s no long-term commitment and you’re welcome to sign up for just one event, or multiple events that fit your style. Once signed up, you’ll be kept in the loop on all event details and what to expect via email and text communication from our team.
- Can I sign up my group? If you are interested in signing up 4 or more people for a volunteer event, we ask that you contact us instead of registering here.
- Can I bring a friend? Of course, the more, the merrier…. but we do ask that your friend register for the event. Those not registered for the event will be turned away.
- How do I find the group? Upon arrival at FareStart, you will enter on the Virginia Street side. If the door is not open, call the number posted on the door for entry. Your Sherpa will meet you inside. It is important to know that no one will be there to greet you until 9:45am. Please do not arrive before this time as it is disruptive to the other programs happening in the building.
- What is a TWIF Lead? At every TWIF Volunteer event, you will find someone, called a TWIF Lead, that is trained to facilitate the group. They are your event host, if you will, and are there to help make sure you have a great experience.
- What should I bring? A water bottle and a snack are never a bad idea. Lunch will be provided but lunch break may be as late as 1:30pm. Please leave valuables at home if possible, if not possible, please plan to arrive 15 minutes early and FareStart will issue you a lock and a locker.
- What should I wear? You'll be in a kitchen so please wear clothing that you're not afraid to get a little food on. For health and safety reasons, we also ask that you wear non-slip, closed toed shoes (like tennis shoes), full length pants, and have your hair pulled back. FareStart will provide volunteers with aprons and hairnets. Please note that FareStart is a clean & sober job training program, and so please do not wear alcohol-related shirts or hats.
- Will we be inside or outside? inside
- Is there parking? There is free street parking in the area on Sundays. There is also a plethora of paid parking lots and easy accessibility by public transportation.
- What is the cancellation policy? Space for our events is limited and we often have a waiting list of people that would like to attend. Once you register for the event we will hold a space just for you so we ask that if, for any reason, you cannot attend your scheduled shift, please make sure to cancel your registration so someone else can take your spot! You can cancel online or by reaching out to our volunteer coordination team.
- Do you offer documentation? Upon request, we will gladly supply you with documentation for your volunteer hours for work or school purposes. We do NOT, however, provide court documentation. We do not believe that volunteering is a punishment and under no circumstances will we provide documentation for court-ordered community service.
Sorry, this event, and the waitlist is full.